COST is a unique means for European researchers to jointly develop their own ideas and new initiatives across all scientific disciplines through trans-European networking of nationally funded research activities.
COST – European CO-operation in Science and Technology – is a unique means for European researchers to jointly develop their own ideas and new initiatives across all scientific disciplines through trans-European networking of nationally funded research activities.
Based on a European intergovernmental framework, COST has contributed since its creation in 1971 to closing the gap between science, policy makers and society throughout Europe and beyond. COST mission is to enable break-through scientific developments leading to new concepts and products and thereby contributing to strengthen Europe’s research and innovation capacities.
The COST Association is an international non-profit association based in Brussels with 36 European Member Countries; it integrates governance, management and support functions dedicated to COST activities aiming at enabling trans-European science and technology cooperation. The COST Association draws its funding from the EU Framework Programme for Research and Innovation, Horizon 2020, through specific Grant Agreements signed in the frame of a framework Partnership Agreement with the European Commission.
The Administrative Officer first responsibility is to provide financial and administrative support to COST Actions Chairs/Grant holders and more generally to COST Action participants. The Administrative Officer is also responsible for providing support to the Science Officers with the organization of COST meetings and events.
The Administrative Officer will ensure to provide high quality and correct documentation related to the Administrative and financial management of the Actions under his/her responsibility as well as for meetings and respecting the deadlines.
The Administrative Officer reports directly to the Head of Science Administration and Finance.
The successful candidate should be available to start beginning of December at the latest.
The position will involve:
- Verifying and controlling invoices and travel reimbursement requests related to meetings centrally managed by the COST Association;
- Undertaking appropriate controls regarding the management and the implementation of the COST Actions by the COST Action Grant Holder Verifying and controlling COST Actions financial reports;
- Organizing cost effective meetings and scientific events, for COST Networking tools mainly in Brussels but not exclusively;
- Providing financial and administrative support to Action Chairs/Grant holders/COST Action Participants. This includes on-site support during Meetings and at Grant Holder premises;
- Ensuring that high quality documentation for meetings is provided in an appropriate form and in a timely manner. Documentation will include presentations, agendas, supporting documentation;
- Providing administrative support in the frame of the Submission, Evaluation, Selection and Approval of new COST Actions;
- Archiving and electronic filing;
- Fulfilling other responsibilities and tasks as necessary for the good organisation of the office, as mandated by the Head of Science Administration and Finance or by Director of the COST Association.
Profile and Competencies
The successful candidate should demonstrate the following competencies:
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor degree in administration or equivalent;
- Minimum of 2 to 4 years’ experience in administration and finance;
- Good, practical working knowledge of MS Office systems (especially MS Word, Access, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint);
- High standard of spoken and written English, knowledge of other European languages appreciated;
- Experience in academic or not-for-profit environment.
- Proven administrative expertise and knowledge of office procedures in the organization of meetings and travels;
- Good knowledge of internet-based knowledge management system;
- Very good knowledge in financial control systems.
- Service-oriented attitude with strong sense of purpose and drive to make a meaningful contribution to the COST mission;
- Team-orientated work ethic;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Commitment to deliver on tasks allocated and respond in a timely manner to deadlines;
- Action-oriented, responsible and self-managed, creative and willing to take initiatives and continuous improvement minded;
- Good inter-personal and communication skills within a multi-national context, including diplomacy, discretion and confidentiality;
- Positive and constructive attitude in an evolving environment.
The COST Association offers
- A fixed-term contract (around 10 months) under the Belgian law;
- Start date: At the latest beginning of December 2017;
- A European working environment located in Brussels;
- Unless a national of the ‘EU and EEE’, candidates must be eligible to work in Belgium and must have a work permit.
Electronic applications (motivation letter with possible start date mentioned + CV in English and at least 2 recent reference letters in English) should be addressed to Barbara Bottiau and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, mentioning the reference code RAO2017 in the subject line.
Please note that the COST HR Team will only contact the candidates who are invited to the interview. No individual feedback will automatically be given to unsuccessful candidates.
The interviews will take place on 27th October 2017 for the 1st round.
For more information, please visit our website: www.cost.eu.
Deadline for application: 08/10/2017 included
Data protection – All personal data provided by applicants will be dealt with in compliance with Regulation (EC) N° 45/2001 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 18 December 2000 on the protection of individuals with regards to the processing of personal data by the Community Institutions and bodies and on the free movement of such data and also in compliance with the law of 8 December 1992 relative to the protection of the private life with regards to the personal data processings which transposes into Belgian law the provisions of the European directive.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: http:// email@example.com →