Our organisation represents 270 trade unions with 7 million members throughout Europe in sectors such as Finance, Commerce, ICT, Post, Property Services, Graphical and Media. We promote and advocate workers and trade union interests towards EU institutions and multinational companies.
UNI Europa, the European services workers’ union, is recruiting a Director covering its finance sector.
Tasks and responsibilities
The Director manages the operational and policy activities in his/her field of work with a high degree of independent judgement and decision-making within the framework set by the Regional Secretary. He/she also works as part of the UNI Finance global team led by the UNI Head of Department.
Key areas of activities include: social dialogue and collective bargaining, employers and multinational companies, EU institutions and EU policymaking, relations with affiliates, organising, project management, campaigning, communication and research.
The main focus of the job is on initiating, planning, running, supervising and coordinating activities in his/her fields of work.
Tasks and responsibilities comprise in particular:
- Contributing proactively to the definition and implementation of relevant UNI Europa policies, strategies, action and projects as well as providing policy advice; this includes preparing and/or coordinating the preparation of relevant policy, research and project documents;
- Representing his/her fields of work and UNI Europa within internal bodies (e.g. as secretary to one of UNI Europa’s statutory bodies) as well as vis-à-vis affiliates and external actors; this includes organising and leading meetings, advocating UNI Europa positions, and negotiating with employers;
- Bringing affiliates together and guiding them towards the attainment of common objectives by coordinating their activities and using their competencies in the most effective way;
- Establishing, developing and maintaining networks; efficient co-operation, good relations and contacts with all relevant internal and external parties (including all parts of UNI Europa, UNI Global Union and affiliates);
- Promoting the visibility of UNI Europa, in particular by communicating on activities effectively to affiliates and other relevant parties, including via the UNI Europa website and social media;
- Providing input into UNI Europa’s mid- to long-term strategic planning, from both the perspective of his/her fields of work and a wider UNI Europa perspective, this/hereby contributing to UNI Europa’s strategy and vision;
- Practising and promoting UNI Europa’s common values and helping to develop UNI Europa’s reputation as the European trade union federation for services workers.
- At least 3 years of experience in policy work in an organisation/institution comparable to UNI Europa with an emphasis on EU affairs and/or trade unions;
- A particular advantage for candidates is experience in trade union work at national and/or international level in some of the key areas of work mentioned above;
- Strong leadership skills; good inter-personal and partnership skills, in particular the ability to motivate colleagues and work in a team;
- Ability to work strategically, take initiatives and react flexibly to new challenges on specific dossiers – often under pressure;
- Establishing and maintaining a high level of expertise and full understanding of trends and developments in his/his/her field of work;
- Effective time management skills, with the ability to prioritise and manage multiple tasks;
- Readiness to do administrative tasks as required;
- Ability to adapt to strenuous travel commitments;
- Excellent written and spoken English (of at least C1); knowledge at a similar level of at least one other working language of UNI Europa (French, German, Italian, Swedish).
- UNI Europa offers attractive conditions with a competitive salary and an attractive package of fringe benefits in line with seniority and work experience. This includes complementary hospital insurance and complementary pension scheme.
The successful candidate will be based in Brussels/Belgium.
Candidates should send their application form with the subject heading “Vacancy – Director Finance Sector”.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com