Time: 17 h 30 - 19 h 30
Location: Press Club Brussels Europe
Links: iCal - Google Calendar
Phone: +32 497 946 840
Winners of the 2nd VINTAGE FILM AWARDS®
will be announced in Brussels at 17:30 CET on 5 May 2017.
Press Club Brussels Europe,
rue Froissart 95 – 1040 Brussels
17:30-18:00: Champagne reception
18:00-18:30: Awards ceremony
18:30-19:00: Reception, photos, Q&A
Selected for their enduring popularity and continued relevance to popular culture, many of the nominees were ignored by the major awards committees when they were first released, including: 1996’s Swingers and Scream; 1986’s Top Gun and Ferris Bueller’s Day Off; and 1976’s Carrie and 1966’s The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. (See APPENDIX below for full list of nominees.)
About the Vintage Film Awards
SOME FILMS GET BETTER WITH AGE
Every year, the established awards shows tell us what we should watch – but, given the benefit of hindsight, what do we want to watch? Looking back in time, the 1st annual VINTAGE FILM AWARDS honours the films from 20, 30, 40, and 50 years ago that, decades later, are still watched and appreciated.
Founded in 2015, the VFA’s mission is to give recognition to films with continuing impact on society – many of which were ignored by the major awards committees when they were first released. Each year, awards will be given to films released 20, 30, 40 and 50 years ago.
- Shortlists of 10 films from each year were determined by many factors, including:
- Enduring popularity. How often is the film still discussed, quoted, and shown on television or in theatres? How many have liked it, rated it, and commented about it on social media?
- Sales. Are people still paying to watch this film (on DVD, via streaming, in theatres)?
- Trends. Has a limited-release film developed a cult following over the years? Are young people aware of the film?
- Public opinion surveys of 1 200 English-speaking adults were conducted to determine the five final nominees and the winners.
Among the shortlisted films from 1996, 1986, 1976 and 1966:
- Clint Eastwood stars in two (The Good, the Bad and the Ugly and The Outlaw Josey Wales)
- Tom Cruise stars in two (Top Gun and Jerry Maguire)
- Two are based on the writings of Steven King (Carrie and Stand by Me)
- Two were directed by John Hughes (Pretty in Pink and Ferris Bueller’s Day Off)
Next year, the 3rd Annual Vintage Film Awards will honour the films of 1997, 1987, 1977 and 1967.
- Shortlists (all years): http://www.vintagefilmawards.com/individual-film/
- Final nominees: 1996, 1986, 1976, 1966
- Selection process: http://www.vintagefilmawards.com/about-vfa/
- 1st VFA winners: https://tinyurl.com/1stVFAwinners
# # #
Contact: James Rogers
Telephone: +32 497 946 840