The city of Brussels has commemorated the Treaty of Rome by placing 5 explanatory plaques in different places and buildings which are connected to two treaties.
On March 25th, 1957, Germany, Belgium, France, Italy, Luxembourg and the Netherlands signed in Rome two treaties: the first one created the European Economic Community (EEC); and the second one created the European Atomic Energy Community (EAEC).
This initiative comes only a year after the two Treaties of Rome celebrated their 60th anniversary and the establishment of the EEC and EAEC.
Considering that the treaties had been negotiated in Brussels, the City Councilor of Urban Planning and Heritage noted the importance of installing the plaques.
The Councilor of Public Affairs perceives the initiative as an encouragement for people in Brussels to highlight the founding treaties that allowed the development of collaborations between European countries, as well as an encouragement to rediscover the cosmopolitan Schuman area.
The following locations have explanatory plaques:
- The Berlaymont building
- The Robert Schuman roundabout
- The Carrefour of Europe
- The Justius Lipsius building
- The Charlemagne.