Halloween is over, but the season for pumpkins not yet. After having been to a number of Asian restaurants and shops lately, I came up with this easy and fast recipe that’s the perfect addition to every lunch or dinner.
Simple Hokkaido pumpkin slices in a breading made from panko bread crumbs, sea weed and maldon sea salt. A bit like tempura, just less fatty and healthier.
Ingredients for 4 side-dish portions:
- 1 big Hokkaido pumpkin, around 1.5kg, washed, halved and cut into 1cm thick slices
- For the soy-sauce mix:
- 40ml of light soy sauce
- 20ml of rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp of chili oil
- 1 tsp of chili paste
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp of honey or maple syrup
- For the breading:
- 1 small teacup of Panko crumbs
- 2 tbsp of crushed seaweed
- 1 tsp Maldon sea salt flakes (or others)
- 1 tbsp black sesame seeds
For the dip:
- 150g Greek yoghurt
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- juice from 1/2 lime
- zest from 1 lime
- 1 tsp black sesame
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp of fresh, finely chopped cilantro
- a pinch of salt and some freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 200C. Mix all the ingredients for the sauce in a flat big bowl and set aside. Mix all ingredients for the breading and spread on a plate. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Take one pumpkin slice and put in the soy sauce mix. It should be covered with sauce from all sides. Then take it out and dip from both sides into the breading, making sure that it sticks to the pumpkin and covers all of it. Put on the baking tray. Repeat with all slices.
- Put the tray with the slices into the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes until the pumpkin is soft and the coating is crisp. While the pumpkin is in the oven prepare the yoghurt dip, by mixing all the ingredients together. Put in the fridge to keep fresh.
- Take pumpkin from the oven, let cool for a few minutes and place on a plate. Serve warm with the yoghurt dip.
Halloween 🎃 is over but the season for pumpkins not yet. Check today’s recipe via @the_recipe_suitcase on @brussels.express #BrusselsExpress #pumpkin #hokkaidopumpkin #halloween #foodporn #foodie #lefooding #welovebrussels #Brussels #Bruxelles #Brussel #Belgium #Belgie #Belgique #photography #visitbrussels #bxlove #brüssel #bruxelas #seemybrussels #bxlmabelle #Brisel #Bruksela #Bruselas #brusel #Bryssel #Brüksel