Cosyness is about good food that is quick and easy to make, but nonetheless tastes amazing and has that certain ‘something’. This dish with fried salmon and fresh cucumber salad is the perfect mix between crunchy and soft as well as salty, acidic, sweet and umami. Also, it’s prepared in around 15 minutes, but tastes like something much more sophisticated.
Ingredients (Serves 2):
For the salmon:
2 fresh raw salmon filets (around 300g each)
4 tbsp soy sauce
4 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tsp black sesame seeds and/or 1 tsp sesame oil
For the shaved cucumber salad:
1 cucumber, washed
1 Granny Smith apple, washed
2 tbsp olive oil
4 tsp soy sauce
4 tsp rice vinegar
1 tsp honey
1 tsp black sesame seeds
8 basil leaves, washed and roughly chopped
For the soy Mayonnaise:
5 tbsp Mayonnaise
1-2 tsp soy sauce
optional: ½ tsp light Miso paste (if you add miso, also add 1-2 tbsp more Mayonnaise otherwise it will be too salty)
1. In a bowl mix soy sauce, rice vinegar and sesame for the marinade. Put salmon filets in a big bowl, add the marinade and cover the fish with it, so it’s well covered. Cover with clingfilm and put in fridge for 4 – 24 hours.
2. With a peeler, cut off ribbons/ long stripes lengthwise from the cucumber. Cut apple in half, remove seeds and then cut the apple into semi-small cubes. Set aside. For the dressing mix olive oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey and black sesame seeds, set aside.
3. For the Mayonnaise mix Mayonnaise with soy sauce (and Miso, if using) and set aside.
4. Heat a pan on high heat, once hot add around 1-2 tbsp of olive oil. Place the salmon in the pan and fry for 2-3 minutes from each side, or until golden brown from the outside and still a bit raw on the inside (only if your salmon is very fresh, otherwise fry for a minute or so more).
5. Place salmon on a plate. Arrange apples and cucumber ribbons next to it, put basil on top and drizzle with the dressing. Put a splash of Mayonnaise on the other side of the salmon.