On Wednesday 10 April 2019, a European Summit of the Heads of State and Government of the European Union will be held in Brussels in the buildings of the Council of the European Union, on the Rue de la Loi. A ‘safety zone’ will be set up in the surrounding area, which only certain individuals can enter.
What are the limits of the safety zone?
- Schuman roundabout
- Rue Froissart, between the Rue Belliard and Schuman roundabout
- Rue de la Loi, between Schuman roundabout and Residence Palace
- Rue Juste Lipse
Within the zone:
- Deliveries will not be possible
- Garbage bags and bicycles are not allowed
Who can enter the safety zone?
With a vehicle:
- Official delegations, with authorisation from the Council services and/or police forces
- Emergency services
- Residents with a ‘pass’ (a form of official authorisation) from the police services (access only via the Avenue d’Auderghem)
- Residents registered within the zone and in possession of a valid ID card
- Employees and shopkeepers who work in the zone and who are in possession of a valid ID card and a pass (delivered via their employer)
- Persons in possession of a pass and a valid ID card
Where can I obtain a ‘pass’?
Requests can be made at www.polbru.be/eurotop and must be sent electronically to the police station of the European quarter of the Brussels Capital Ixelles police zone, Boulevard Clovis 10 – 1000 Brussels – 02 279 85 36. The passes will be available for pick up there from 1 April 2019.
Local traffic and parking
The following streets will only be accessible for local traffic (above ground there will be a parking ban):
- Rue Archimède between the Rue Stévin and Schuman roundabout
- Avenue de Cortenberg, between the rue Stévin and Schuman roundabout
- Rue de la Loi, between the avenue de la Joyeuse Entrée and Schuman roundabout
- Avenue d’Auderghem, between the Rue Belliard and Schuman roundabout
- Rue Breydel
Parking will also be forbidden:
- In the safety zone
- In the streets with local traffic
- On the Chaussée d’Etterbeek, between the Rue Belliard and the Rue Van Maerlant
- On Rue Van Maerlant
- On Rue Belliard, between the Chaussée d’Etterbeek and the Avenue d’Auderghem
The bus lines of the STIB and De Lijn that drive normally through the safety zone will be diverted.
More (realtime) information?
Call 02 279 85 36 or go to www.polbru.be
The call centre is open to those members of the public in possession of passes on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday, from 8 am to 4 pm and on Thursday from noon to 8 pm. The call centre is available on Saturdays between 8 am and noon for those members of the public without a pass.