It was a few weeks ago when I went to the farmers market in Saint-Gilles, Brussels, just next to the Parvis de Saint-Gilles, for some weekend fruit and veggie shopping, when I bumped into those light green, baby zucchini. They would’ve been great for a salad, too, as they tasted very tender and soft, perfect to be eaten raw. But I decided differently and matched them up with some goat cheese and a bunch of fresh mint.
Serve the quiche with a nice herb salad with a lemony dressing.
For the dough:
Either use ready made dough
120g cold Butter, diced
1/4 tsp salt
2 egg yolks
2-4 tsp cold water
For the filling:
1-2 tbsp oliveoil
1 garlic, chopped very finely
1 onion, cut in small dices
150g goat cream cheese
225ml liquid cream
zest from 1/2 lemon
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 Handful mint, washed and cut into stripes
3 Baby Zucchini, 1 1/2 Zucchini cut in diagonal slices (approx. 0.5cm thick), cut the rest in dices
1. For the dough mix flour and salt. Add cold butter and quickly knead with your fingers or a mixer. Add yolks and water and mix again briefly, until a crumbly dough has formed. Continue kneading with your hands until an even dough has formed. Make a ball, wrap in cling film and put for an hour in the fridge.
2. Heat a small pan, add olive oil and fry onions and garlic until translucent. Let cool down. Heat oven to 180C.
3. Mix goat cheese and eggs in a bowl until combined. Slowly pour in cream and milk until incorporated. Add lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, pepper, nutmeg and mint. Also add the Zucchini dices (not the slices).
4. Oil a springform. Take dough from fridge and roll out on a space dusted with flour. It should be a bit bigger than your cake form. Put dough in cake form, press firmly to bottom and sides and pierce in several places with a fork.
5. Add the liquid mixture into the middle of the springform and spread evenly. Arrange Zucchini slices in a circle on top. Put into oven for 50 – 60 minutes until the quiche is set and still a tiny bit wobbly when you move it.
6. Serve warm with a fresh salad.