Do you also think avocados are the reason for you constantly being broke? Or better said, avocado toasts? Well, this Australian real estate owner and millionaire thinks that our generation is quite messed up. Partly because of buying overpriced avo toasts in overpriced cafes. I guess he’s partly right. I for my part spend the majority of my money on food, but that’s more because it’s my passion, my hobby, and my part-time job. Cook, eat, repeat. I’m very surprised sometimes though what restaurants and cafes charge for a bowl of porridge, a coffee, a yogurt with granola or…an avocado toast. All fair trade and vegan please, cause we care about the environment (let’s forget about the emissions coming from transport for a sec) Oh, and many people are even more prone to pay more just because it looks good, because if it looks good on your plate, it will look good on your Instagram account and if it looks good there, people will love you because you’re cool, because you ate that pretty food and that must mean you have an epic life. Or something like that.
And this criticism goes to myself as well. I do pay a euro or two too much sometimes for that perfect flat white in the morning. I also take photos of my food, too, but I try to be reasonable about prices where I can and sometimes making an avocado toast at home can be way nicer than buying it at a brunch place and thinking “I could’ve done that better”. My solution to this: I order overpriced poached eggs that are harder to prepare at home.
Serves 2 morning grumps:
- 4 slices of bread
- 1 Avocado
- around 70g Feta
- Juice from 3/4 lemon
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp white Balsamic vinegar
- 5 stems mint, leaves dissolved and cut into stripes
- 1/2 tsp sea salt flakes
- 1/3 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 ripe figs, cut lengthwise into 8 pieces
- some edamame beans, separated from the membranes
- 2 poached eggs (optional)
1. Toast bread and put on plates.
2. In a bowl smash avocado with a fork. Add feta, lemon juice, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, cut mint, salt and pepper and mix. Season more if needed.
3. Spread the avo paste on the toasts and put figs as well as Edamame on top. Finally, add the poached egg.